Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Little Fabric Airplanes

Pin It








I have been experimenting with various kinds of paper planes lately. This week I figured out how to use starch to make little planes out of fabric.

Materials:
  • fabric cut into various squares. Mine are between 5 and 7 inches square.
  • laundry starch. I used the kind that is powdered, not the spray.
  • an iron
  • scissors
  • optional: string and beads for hanging
The Steps:
1. Follow the directions on the starch and make a bowl of it. Mine involved using boiling water to dissolve the starch, then letting it to cool slightly.
2. Submerge your fabirc squares completely in the starch solution.
3. Lay the squares out flat.


4. When the squares are fairly dry iron them. Press with the iron, do not slide it back and forth.
5. Your fabric will now be stiff like paper. Start to fold it like a traditional airplane. I flattened each crease with the iron as I went.
6. When you are finished the plane will still be sort of floppy. I used my sewing machine to sew along some of the folds and keep the plane together.

If you want to hang a plane you can insert a small jump ring into the center and then string some beads onto it.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment