Friday, July 26, 2013

Fabric Scrap Pennants




I have a really ugly porch this summer. My pots of annuals seem to have bloomed and are not looking very colorful. I used to hang Tibetan Prayer flags between the railings and it always cheered me up. I decided to use up some of my fabric scraps and make some quick pennants. I cut out two cardboard patterns. One is a rectangle about 3 x 4 inches and the other is smaller, around 1 x 3 inches. I traced and cut out multiple rectangles of fabric.  I cut three long pieces of waterproof string and pinned the retangles on to the string by folding them over. Then I used my sewing machine to sew them all up. I did not hem my pennants, just sewed them up and hung them up. You could hem the edges to make them last longer. Also, if your flags are hanging in direct sun like mine are you can expect them to fade. So this is not a permanent decoration and may have to be replaced every year or so but it does make the porch look more colorful and festive and it barely took any time at all. Because I tend to be lazy I experimented with stapling the fabric over the string but this didn't work too well. It would seem to me that you may be able to glue them on with some kind of waterproof adhesive or even iron them on with interfacing. But for me the sewing didn't take too long and I am pleased with the results.



No comments:

Post a Comment